Hello Sascha, > I think there is interest in EFI support. It's a good thing to implement > a standard boot concept. It could be used on ARM aswell. > The really bad thing about EFI is that it requires runtime services to > access the EFI variables from the kernel. For this the kernel calls back > into bootloader code. This concept stinks. The kernel should access the > variables natively (With some data structure kernel and bootloader agree > about). I recently heard someone going into that direction, just can't > remember who it was. I took a small look at it, apparently there's attempts at a gcc toolchain necessary for compiling this. And yes it has its own development environment. http://wiki.osdev.org/UEFI http://sourceforge.net/projects/gnu-efi/ I might get to that some day, its not on my immediate list as yet. > I don't know either. Do you want to do framebuffer console support > aswell? That might be difficult. I was thinking using VESA VBE for this. Maybe looking at the linux kernel code may help here, as VESA VBE seems to have graphical/text modes, having a framebuffer driver on barebox/x86 would be nice. This will be next after the keyboard driver. Michel On 04/10/2014 07:52 AM, Sascha Hauer wrote: > On Sun, Apr 06, 2014 at 04:32:19PM +0200, Michel Stam wrote: >> Hello Antony, >> >> Interesting idea- I wonder if its difficult given that U-boot is >> already supported? >> >> Personally I have no experience with coreboot, the systems I test on >> are industrial x86 SBCs with their own BIOS. I suppose it is oossible, >> maybe we can borrow code from u-boot. >> >> Another thing along the sane lines that crossed my mind is EFI support >> for barebox, I wonder if theres interest in that? > I think there is interest in EFI support. It's a good thing to implement > a standard boot concept. It could be used on ARM aswell. > The really bad thing about EFI is that it requires runtime services to > access the EFI variables from the kernel. For this the kernel calls back > into bootloader code. This concept stinks. The kernel should access the > variables natively (With some data structure kernel and bootloader agree > about). I recently heard someone going into that direction, just can't > remember who it was. > >> Next on my list is keyboard/VGA, maybe VESA support if I have the >> time. I would like to see a console, possibly a framebuffer driver. No >> idea how difficult that will be. > I don't know either. Do you want to do framebuffer console support > aswell? That might be difficult. > > Sascha >