From: Konstantin Kletschke <konstantin.kletschke@inside-m2m.de>
To: barebox@lists.infradead.org
Subject: yocto integration - best practice
Date: Fri, 08 Oct 2021 15:18:56 +0200	[thread overview]

Hi All,

I wonder how to properly integrate bare box into my yocto. I read many
other examples in
the internet how other people do this and I am a little stupid now.

I have a yocto poky image up and running based on their beaglebone-yocto
subset which can be utlilized
in my case with a rather minimal setup with a local.conf only. This
since I by accident actually
use a Beaglebone Black board.

I added my own meta-insidem2m layer also and in this layer I modify
kernel config, integrate out of
kernel modules and other stuff. Also barebox patches (for default boot
configs) are added from there.
The local.conf shrunk to a rather minimal content, because I have an own
distro in it with three
different images.

Additionally I integrated meta-barebox successfully into this and use
barebox in my daily development
work to boot from internal MMC and external SD-Card.

What I wonder, what is need to be done to integrate MLO and barebox.bin
into the SD-Card image? It is
not really importand, since copying the files by hand into the boot
partition works fine and the final
install goes into the internal MMC flash anyway. But it would be fine to
get barebox initially into
the image to generate immediately bootable images for SD-Card. It would
be possible to raw write such
an image to the internal MMC 1:1 also...

But where is the hook to exchange u-boot by barebox in the yocto
framework? Can it be done in an own
distro? I find bootloader stuff dealt with in /conf/machine/*, is it
necessary to be done there?
This would be challenging a bit since then a kernel and other system
stuff has to be recreated too
(tried that) and relying/utilizing the beaglebone stuff is not possible
anymore. Additionally I see
many companies heavily providing software support for their boards with
yocto and barebox without
/conf/machine/* stuff (if I read right).

Other way round: I plan to fully integrate RAUC into our software, what
is best preparation for this
regarding barebox integration?

Kind Regards
Konstantin Kletschke