From: Ahmad Fatoum <a.fatoum@pengutronix.de>
To: Denis Osterland-Heim <denis.osterland@diehl.com>,
	"barebox@lists.infradead.org" <barebox@lists.infradead.org>
Subject: Re: Not successful if statements returning error code
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2021 11:22:49 +0200	[thread overview]

On 28.07.21 11:38, Denis Osterland-Heim wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Am Mittwoch, den 28.07.2021, 10:56 +0200 schrieb Ahmad Fatoum:
>
>> I talked with Sascha once before (off-list) about a similar issue. Missing error handling
>> results in
>>
>>   [ x1 -eq x2 ] && echo yes || echo no
>>
>> printing yes.
>>
>> We agreed that it's ok to break scripts relying on clear hush bugs like this.
>>
>> I'd thus recommend you to send a patch to fix hush instead of working around it.
> shellcheck says:
>
> SC2015: Note that A && B || C is not if-then-else. C may run when A is true.
>
> So I would think that B is maybe allowed to run before A, too.
> But, I do not know if Hush specifies execution order here.

An option-less barebox echo can't fail, so it should never
print both yes and no, but thanks for the reference. I'll keep
an eye on it in future shell code.

This wasn't what I meant to show though, I meant that x1 and x2
are both non-integers and -eq which compares integers returns
true when comparing them unlike what a POSIX shell does.

Cheers,
Ahmad