From: Ahmad Fatoum <a.fatoum@pengutronix.de>
To: Antony Pavlov <antonynpavlov@gmail.com>,
	Sascha Hauer <sha@pengutronix.de>
Cc: barebox <barebox@lists.infradead.org>
Subject: Re: move dma_ops to common code
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2022 16:52:18 +0200	[thread overview]

Hello Antony,

On 16.06.22 09:53, Antony Pavlov wrote:
> Hi!
>
> In 0e885ce81d0e ('RISC-V: dma: support multiple dma_alloc_coherent backends') ,
> (see https://lore.barebox.org/barebox/20210619045055.779-10-a.fatoum@pengutronix.de/)
> multiple dma_alloc_coherent backends was introduced for RISC-V.
>
> At the moment MIPS dma_alloc_coherent stuff is messy and I want to rework it.
> I can reuse some parts of 0e885ce81d0e by moving it to the common code.
> Any comments or suggestions?
I have been meaning to clean this dma API stuff up, so I find it very nice
that you are going to do it :)

Currently, we have two ways to influence this:

  - dma_set_ops
  - define static inline helpers in <asm/dma.h> and #define macros, so the generic
    implementation isn't used
    (see https://lore.barebox.org/barebox/20220614091556.1018102-1-a.fatoum@pengutronix.de/T/#t)

As first step, one could clean up the repetition in the <asm/dma.h> files, e.g.
dma_alloc_coherent is nearly identical in a couple of places. Then as next step
we could have (just example names)

  CONFIG_DMA_UNCACHED

     The current !PBL and/or !MMU case

  CONFIG_DMA_PER_ARCH

     For those not using dma_set_ops

  CONFIG_DMA_DYNAMIC_OPS

     For those using dma_set_ops

This should allows us to get rid of the macros and then each arch could just
select the appropriate symbol.

What do you think?

Cheers,
Ahmad