* lock path in barebox-state
@ 2021-02-10  8:36 barebox+mailing
From: barebox+mailing @ 2021-02-10  8:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: barebox

Hey everyone,

we use barebox-state in conjunction with systemd on our platform.
We removed all legacy programs and paths (in systemd terms), so is `/var/lock` removed as well.

Lennart Poettering decribed it in a github issue why /var/lock is bad (and the reason why it's not pupolated per default): https://github.com/systemd/systemd/issues/15668#issuecomment-623069821

So for now our option is to create /var/lock via tmpfiles so barebox-state can use them.

I would like to see a upstream fix for this, where barebox uses its own directory, e.g. `/run/barebox/lock` or similar.

I'm not sure if this breaks anything on older systems, maybe you can think about it for a second.

Please let me know what you think the best approach would be.

Greetings,
Marcel

* Re: lock path in barebox-state
@ 2021-02-10  8:51 ` Rouven Czerwinski
From: Rouven Czerwinski @ 2021-02-10  8:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: barebox+mailing, barebox

Hi Marcel

On Wed, 2021-02-10 at 09:36 +0100, barebox+mailing@cookiesoft.de wrote:
> Hey everyone,
>
> we use barebox-state in conjunction with systemd on our platform.
> We removed all legacy programs and paths (in systemd terms), so is `/var/lock` removed as well.
>
> Lennart Poettering decribed it in a github issue why /var/lock is bad (and the reason why it's not pupolated per default): https://github.com/systemd/systemd/issues/15668#issuecomment-623069821
>
> So for now our option is to create /var/lock via tmpfiles so barebox-state can use them.
>
> I would like to see a upstream fix for this, where barebox uses its own directory, e.g. `/run/barebox/lock` or similar.
>
> I'm not sure if this breaks anything on older systems, maybe you can think about it for a second.
>
> Please let me know what you think the best approach would be.

Since barebox-state is part of the dt-utils software suite, questions
should be directed to oss-tools@pengutronix.de Feel free to send
patches changing the locking directory to this address as well.

Regards,
Rouven Czerwinski

* Re: lock path in barebox-state
@ 2021-02-10  8:59   ` Ahmad Fatoum
From: Ahmad Fatoum @ 2021-02-10  8:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rouven Czerwinski, barebox+mailing, barebox

On 10.02.21 09:51, Rouven Czerwinski wrote:
> Hi Marcel
>
> On Wed, 2021-02-10 at 09:36 +0100, barebox+mailing@cookiesoft.de wrote:
>> Hey everyone,
>>
>> we use barebox-state in conjunction with systemd on our platform.
>> We removed all legacy programs and paths (in systemd terms), so is `/var/lock` removed as well.
>>
>> Lennart Poettering decribed it in a github issue why /var/lock is bad (and the reason why it's not pupolated per default): https://github.com/systemd/systemd/issues/15668#issuecomment-623069821
>>
>> So for now our option is to create /var/lock via tmpfiles so barebox-state can use them.
>>
>> I would like to see a upstream fix for this, where barebox uses its own directory, e.g. `/run/barebox/lock` or similar.
>>
>> I'm not sure if this breaks anything on older systems, maybe you can think about it for a second.
>>
>> Please let me know what you think the best approach would be.
>
> Since barebox-state is part of the dt-utils software suite, questions
> should be directed to oss-tools@pengutronix.de Feel free to send
> patches changing the locking directory to this address as well.

There's already a patch for that:
https://www.mail-archive.com/oss-tools@pengutronix.de/msg00063.html

--

* Re: lock path in barebox-state
@ 2021-02-10  9:04     ` barebox+mailing
From: barebox+mailing @ 2021-02-10  9:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ahmad Fatoum, Rouven Czerwinski, barebox

Hey both of you,

> Since barebox-state is part of the dt-utils software suite, questions
should be directed to oss-tools@pengutronix.de

Sorry for that, but thanks for the hint!

> There's already a patch for that:
> https://www.mail-archive.com/oss-tools@pengutronix.de/msg00063.html

Wow, I haven't found it (maybe because I looked at the wrong mailing list (: )

I will ask both of my questions there again.

Greetings,
Marcel