* DTB overlay
@ 2020-05-19 17:33 Barbier, Renaud
From: Barbier, Renaud @ 2020-05-19 17:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: barebox

Is there a limit on the number of overlay that can be  loaded with the of_overlay command?

It does not complain if I load two overlays. However, when booting my FIT image, I get twice the message:
of_overlay: failed to copy symbols from overlay

Still all node modifications are added to the base device tree.

The error message is not displayed if I add only one overlay.

Cheers,
Renaud

* RE: DTB overlay
@ 2020-05-20  8:12 ` Barbier, Renaud
From: Barbier, Renaud @ 2020-05-20  8:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Barbier, Renaud, barebox

Forgot to mention, I am using v2020.03.

I will see if any newer code fix this error message issue

* Re: DTB overlay
@ 2020-05-20  9:58 ` Sascha Hauer
From: Sascha Hauer @ 2020-05-20  9:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Barbier, Renaud; +Cc: barebox

Hi Renaud,

On Tue, May 19, 2020 at 05:33:33PM +0000, Barbier, Renaud wrote:
> Is there a limit on the number of overlay that can be  loaded with the of_overlay command?
>
> It does not complain if I load two overlays. However, when booting my FIT image, I get twice the message:
> of_overlay: failed to copy symbols from overlay
>
> Still all node modifications are added to the base device tree.
>
> The error message is not displayed if I add only one overlay.

This commit seems to solve your issues at least partly:

| commit 7732d7669b5c54a5c17a6bab6706f6624da0f78e
| Author: Rouven Czerwinski <r.czerwinski@pengutronix.de>
| Date:   Fri Mar 6 09:38:11 2020 +0100
|
|     of: overlay: rework error message for symbols
|
|     Missing symbols for overlay or root tree are valid if the overlay only
|     adds paths to the device tree. The code handles this correctly, however
|     it still isues a WARNING for the missing symbols. Demote the warning to
|     info and move into the of_overlay_apply_symbols() function.
|
|     Signed-off-by: Rouven Czerwinski <r.czerwinski@pengutronix.de>
|     Signed-off-by: Sascha Hauer <s.hauer@pengutronix.de>

Sascha